Flying is off for Saturday this week. The strip is still saturated from this weeks rain and the forecast is for continual rain throughout Saturday. Keep an eye on the website for an update on flying Sunday.
Saturday was our Annual General Meeting, we had about 17 members in attendance. Matt will post minutes of the meeting once they have been tidied up. The intent was to have an informal AGM with a sausage sizzle at the end of the meeting and it was informal. The sausages were also good. I hope Sunday’s crew had a good feed as we were over supplied. We might do something more formal next year if that’s what members are interested in. The new committee are as follows;
President – Mark Bahr
Vice President – Cliff Hitch
Secretary – Matt Eastman
GTO/ Canteen – John Feeney
CFI – Dave Donald
Treasurer – Steve Ellis
Tug master – Ken Window
Gary Chaplin has graciously agreed to continue as our Safety Officer, and Jake Vanderol has agreed to take on the position of communications officer with the support of John Tucker.
I want to thank the outgoing committee for an enormous amount of hard work that largely goes unnoticed. Brian Gilby, Barry Cook and Peter Sampson have done an enormous amount to get the club to where it is currently and those attending the AGM moved that we acknowledge their contributions. This is despite Brian moving out to Warwick to fly.
If you didn’t make the AGM you missed out on a very interesting flying day with all the single seater’s getting good flights (admittedly in sometimes mixed conditions) but 6500 feet at 6 – 8 knots really wasn’t bad for winter. At the AGM I mentioned that we had sought Community benefit funding for some upgrade to the club facilities in particular in regard to solar power to reduce electricity costs. I have just had confirmation come through from the community benefit fund of our successful grant application. We didn’t get the full amount requested but certainly it looks like we have the funds for a solar upgrade and perhaps a lick of paint for the clubhouse. I still need to see the details of what was approved.
I apologise for the potential duplicate postings you should get a copy of this Newsletter in your email shortly, but just in case we miss someone I am going to post it here and on facebook as well. Its about time for annual renewal of memberships so you will get a reminder about that as well. The club is doing well at the moment the one thing we could really do with more of is you. Come out and fly, you know you want to.
You will have all seen the forecast for the weekend. The good news is the rasp looks good. The bad news is the high temperature is not only uncomfortable to fly in but decreases climb performance. So the tow pilot will be watching performance and if the climb performance degrades too much or the temperature gets too high we may finish operations early. So if you plan on flying this weekend it would be a good idea to get out early and have the gliders ready to launch straight after briefing. In the very hot conditions keep hydrated and fly safe.
The forecast for Saturday is for a hot day, at least 35 degrees and it may well go a couple of degrees higher. The RASP looks good for the morning, but there is a chance of a thunderstorm later. So if you are a student planning to fly there are a couple of things to keep in mind. Come out early and get the hangar doors open, and aircraft out as early as possible. The earlier we start the better. This is going to be better for both for personal comfort and by the looks of the RASP thermal activity. Since its going to be hot, drink plenty of fluids and keep your self hydrated. Performance drops of pretty quickly with dehydration and heat stress. Its not just people who don’t like the heat. Hot moist air is less dense than the cold air we fly in during the cooler months that effects the climb performance of the tug, so push the gliders well back to give yourself plenty of room for takeoff. At about 36 degrees the air on the ground will have a density altitude somewhere between 3500- 4000 feet, when it gets to that point the tow pilot may call the day if the climb performance decreases too much. Sometimes, its possible to launch single seat gliders in the warmer conditions, but the Twin and the K21 are quite a bit heavier. Both should be available for training so as long as we are orgainsed early we should be able to get some good flying in. Hope to see you out there.
If you were planning on coming out for the barbeque this afternoon its still on. Theres been a bit of rain as is our tradition. The bbq is firing up at 5:30.
Hope to see you soon.
There will be no flying Friday in February. There may be an opportunity for solo only flying on Australia day in lieu of the flying friday for solo pilots. Please let Dave Donald know if you are interested.
Apologies everyone – I havent been able to secure the services of a crew i.e. tug pilot and duty instructor so there will be no flying on Australia Day. Notwithstanding that there have been no inquiries regarding any flying activity. Have a great Australia Day! Regards, Dave.
Congratulations to Chris Jesse for completing his 5 hour flight last Sunday. Spring has got off to a brilliant start with the last two weekends turning out to be great flying days. Long flights, were possible with cloud base about 6500 feet and some good thermals about. The long term forecast is for a dry summer things will only get better from now on.
Winter soaring at Boonah was spectacular last weekend. Saturday conditions looked good and by all reports was a great day. Sunday 21 flights logged. Conditions were soft initially with a rapidly cycling sky but that firmed up as the day progressed. Some good 4 knot climbs with local cloud base about 5300 and Some reports of climbs over 6000 feet further south. Many thanks to the tireless CFI, instructors, tow pilots and members for making it a great weekend.